Commercial van insurance

Does your van insurance suit the way you do business? ISIS can make business van insurance comparison easy!

  • We’re not a call centre. Don’t queue, get straight through.
  • Instant cover, instant documentation.
  • Flexible payment options.
  • Discounts available for new ventures.
  • Discounts available for vehicles with fixed cameras.
  • Access to exclusive schemes you won’t find on the high street.

Who needs commercial van insurance?

The number of commercial vans operating on the UK’s roads in recent years has grown faster than car traffic. As with other motor vehicles, anyone who owns or operates a van on the UK’s road network needs to have insurance in place. There are a range of options available to you depending on the level of cover that you require and what you are intending to use the vehicle for.

If you use your van to carry your own stock, goods, materials, tools or equipment for business purposes, you’ll need commercial or business van insurance. Most insurance companies define a van as any goods carrying vehicle from 1 ton Gross vehicle weight up to 7.5 tons. Cover can be bought at Third party or Third Party Fire and Theft levels, but ordinarily most individuals or businesses using a commercial vehicle would normally arrange comprehensive insurance cover.

Where you use the van to carry, move and deliver goods on behalf of your customers or another third party, you will need insurance which includes hire and reward usage, sometimes referred to as haulage or light haulage insurance cover.

Types of commercial van insurance cover

A commercial van insurance policy is flexible in scope. At a basic level, you can choose between the levels of cover available:

Third Party Only – This is the minimum cover normally offered by insurers. However, it only provides you with cover for the cost of the damage to someone else’s vehicle or property in the event of an accident. You are not protected for the costs of repair to your own vehicle.

Third Party Fire and Theft – As the name suggests, provides additional cover over Third Party Only, protecting you in the event that your van is damaged or destroyed by fire, or if it is stolen.

Comprehensive cover – The widest level of cover normally available. With Comprehensive van insurance cover, you are protected in the event of any damage to your van even where you may be at fault for the incident.

It’s really important, when choosing your level of cover, that you consider the cost and implications of different situations. While the premium for a basic Third Party policy may be tempting, the costs for repairing your vehicle, not to mention the inconvenience of being off the road and out of action for a period, could have significant impact on your business. For this reason, we usually recommend that you consider Comprehensive van insurance.

Outside of the level of cover that you may choose, you can also choose to restrict the drivers who you wish to drive the van, which can offer a significant saving in the premium that you pay.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Other policies to consider when buying commercial van insurance

Outside of insuring the business van itself, there are a range of further covers that may well be relevant to you, depending on your circumstances and what you want to use the van for. Windscreen and glass cover are usually included as part of a Comprehensive insurance policy as standard – its well worth checking the details. Beyond that, there are a number of other considerations that may be relevant. These may include:

  • Breakdown cover
  • Goods in transit insurance
  • Replacement Vehicle Insurance
  • Tools insurance
  • Legal Expenses

Our Awards

ISIS Truck Insurance Broker UK Awards
ISIS HGV Insurance Broker UK Awards